Breaking Up With Diet Culture Post Bariatric Surgery - Bariatric Food Expert

May 3, 2018by admin0
Soft-Foods-Post-Surgery.-3.png

Diet culture is a system of meanings, values, and knowledge that supports interpretations of personal health choices as moral character.  Got it ?  Now let’s break it down.

Sometimes it becomes more important to talk less about what we eat and more about how important it can be to shift expectations and diet mentality post bariatric surgery to be truly content.  Sure, the body goes through a ton of change post surgery without a lot of work in the beginning but the real work is making the mental changes.  Your had your stomach operated on, not your head.  Can you get what I am trying to say ?

Now is the time to make peace with food and move forward to a place where you are not focused only on calories and macronutrients but you evolve to a place where you think more about moderation and flexibility and your new WOE *way of eating.  Making that mental change can be difficult but let’s talk about how we can get to a place where it is less complicated.

“I exercise because it makes me feel good and not only to burn calories”

If you just exercise and watch your fitbit to see how many calories have been burned instead of focusing on exercising for your health and how good it makes you feel, then you are going to burn out and hate exercise very soon.  Call your exercise time your self love time and take care of you.  Don’t make exercise a forced thing.  Move to the place where you can truly enjoy your exercise time.

“I enjoy practicing moderation and flexible dining”

Are you always counting calories? Are you always hungry ? Do you feel bad or guilty about the choices you make in the kitchen ? Are you constantly on a diet ?  If you are, you will grow weary and fatigued of the “diet mentality”.  We need to work past this place and not be at war with food.  

I know it’s not easy after a lifetime of dieting mentality but let’s make the steps today to try to be at peace with food. Breaking up is hard to do.   Don’t be so hard on yourself and remember, it’s 80/20 – 80% of the time we are working to make good food decisions and the other 20% of the time we can be “not so perfect”.  

Reach out if you have questions and congratulations for putting yourself first.

About the Author: Sheri Burke is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Bariatric Surgery Coordinator at International Patient Facilitators in Tijuana and Cancun, Mexico. She has worked with bariatric surgery clients for over 10 years and especially enjoys providing nutritional guidance to pre and post bariatric clients.  In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two teens and cooking up a nutritional storm in the kitchen.

For high quality specialized plant protein for bariatric patients Bariatric Expert Protein Powders

Time for a “bariatric expert” multivitamin ?  Here is a perfect way for bariatric patients to get it now on Amazon:  Bariatric Expert MultiVitamins.

Eat Like a Bariatric Expert with our Nutrition Plans.

Feel free to share your victories and struggles in our Facebook Group. I would love to connect with you.

Stay motivated with Bariatric Wristbands – post your results online !


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 + 9 =